Mr. Ahmed Hefny
Adan, Omar, Areej
Pre-Algebra Chp 2
Problems Solved in Class:
Chosen exercises from chapter 2
* Definition of exponent
* Properties of exponent:
- Not commutative
- Not associative (default order is top to bottom)
- Does not distribute over addition
- Distributes over base multiplication (ab)^c = a^c * b^c
- 1 is a "right identity" element.
* (a+b)^2 = a^2 + b^2 + 2ab. It can be proven using distributive property.
* Negative powers.
* 0th Power.
* Powers of 0.
. Students still have difficulties using variables to prove general statements.
. A problem that took un expected long time is showing that:
(2a+2b)^m = 2^m (a+b)^m
Students had trouble figuring out that this is a simple application of distributive properties.
· Chapter 2: Please watch teh videos and make sure you can solve example problems.
. Solve exercises: 2.1.2, 2.1.5, 2.1.9, 2.2.6, 2.2.10, 2.2.11, 2.4.6
. Solve review exercises: 2.45, 2.50. 2.76